Tuesday, November 13, 2007

the Dirty Thirty

So I had to talk about the life altering experience I just had... Yep... it really happened... I turned 30. And contrary to popular belief, you don't feel old or have to start wearing adult diapers or anything! So far, being 30 has been great! I started thinking about all the things that have happened up to this point in my life... It is pretty wierd to think that I have been alive 3 whole decades. I thought back to those years in my life... 10, 20, 30... And this is what I've learned thus far...

At 10 years.... I crapped my pants in public. I always say that this doesn't really matter because I was still somewhat of a child. However, it was still humiliating and freakin hilarious. I still laugh about it everytime I tell the story. Most of the time I don't know if I am laughing at myself or the adult who has just shared their "you'll never believe what I did last week" story. I take pride in the fact that I have never pooped my pants since. Knock on wood...

At 20 years old... I was married... for the first time! I would never change anything about the way I have lived my life. I learned so much from my first marriage about myself and it ultimately led me to Nathan. How could I not think that this event was landmark?

At 30 years old... I am happy! There are some people who just don't get me and that is ok. When I was little I used to love to record my own voice. It drove my mom crazy because I never shut up... (Not much has changed... sorry Mom!) But she kept some of the tapes and on one of them I said " Some people don't think I'm funny but I think I'm funny." I love my life. It is hard sometimes but I wake up in the morning with people who I would give my life for. (Sometimes they would do the same for me... I think) I get to go on lots of vacations with those people and grow and learn with them. I am healthy and consider myself blessed and lucky. I thought I was gonna have a psychological meltdown when I turned 30. I have found it to be quite refreshing! So for all you turning 30 this year... Come on! Don't be scared. The dirty thirties are as Nacho says "the beeest!"

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome! Hope you got our message on your cell! I miss you so much and so enjoyed you during your time here. Not too worried about thirty myself but then, I do have a couple of years yet. Love you so much. Happy dirty thirties to you! SCOMPS!

The Garlocks.... said...

SO SO SO CUTE! You look incredible for being 30! You always have such great posts! I think you are way funny! You always crack me up at church! Happy 30th and hopefully your will have 50 more birthdays! Then I know you will have what happend at 10 at least a couple more times!

Becky said...

Hey Sonda, did you have those nifty diapers from SNL "Oops I crapped my pants"??? :)

You are a doll and 30 will not kill you, I promise!

Denyse said...

Happy Birthday!!!! You are sooo old! I'm kidding! You were right when you told yourself you are funny...actually hillarious!

Ferrin Square said...

Sondie, one of the things I love most about you is your comfort in your own skin. I think there are a lot of people out there who would pay for that luxury...but don't know how to get there on their own. Love you to the moon and back. Aisi

Laura said...

Sonda I'm going to make Micah read this. "I love eeet!"

Sonda Bryce said...

I love that you are a loyal Nacho fan as well. It makes the fact that you will be joining the dirty 30 club soon so much sweeter!

Anonymous said...

Sonda. Quit this jargon about turning 30. It's all propoganda, like 30 is the new 20 BS! The truth is we all have hair in places that weren't there before, we don't get carded to sit in the bar at Chili's, and we drive some sort of large bus type vehicle. Who are we kidding 1/3 of our life is gone and the last 1/3 we probably won't remember anyways, but hey I'm still 29!

Amy John said...

Hey SOnda, its Amy. I love your entire attitude towards life. It is very motivating! Happy Birthday! I hope that I can be like you when I turn 30.

Levi and Suzi said...

So hilarious!! You're awesome, and not to mention such a hottie at age 30! Happy Birthday. Oh, and Levi and I both think you're funny too.

Colton said...

30 is actually only one day older than 29 and 364 days. Is it any more miraculous that you will wake up tomorrow than it was when you woke up on the morning of your 30th?

Sorry, not sure where that came from.

And yes, I unfortunately remember the quilting incident.

Last thing: I completely agree with you on the funny thing! I think that I am the funniest thing since the dawn of time! I guess I just know the kind of jokes that are going to make me laugh the most, so my alter-ego does a good job of keeping things interesting.

Hi, I'm Colton's alter-ego. I like your blog. I...wait, he's coming...

Sorry about that, I dozed off for a bit.

Okay, this is getting weird, and really long.

Love,
Colton with an "o"

Becky said...

Hey, we almost have the same birthday! Happy Birthday to you. You're a hot 30 year old. I'm not that far behind you (in age I mean). I love reading your posts, they make me smile and I love that you don't hold back.

Holly said...

Happy, happy birthday! I never worried about turning 30. 50, on the other hand, does scare me just a bit. You have a beautiful family!

Matt said...

I just turned 30 back in Feb... It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be... But, i am MUCH more aware that I am starting to look like a monk from above. :)

tashina birch said...

hey sexy mama! this is tashina birch!? remember me? old ward! girl you better be thankful for the way you look for being 30! you are beautiful no matter what age you are! and you always will be!! write me back! i miss you guys over there! we never did our visiting teaching lunch! bummer deal, we are going to have to find time to squeeze it in our busy days!!

tashina birch said...

we are off of ellsworth and chandler heights... in Montelena! we love it here! what the heck have you been up to!?

Rusty and Ashley said...

By the way, thanks for the party last night!