Friday, September 12, 2008

Today, today, work with a will...

About a month ago we had the opportunity to help clean the temple grounds on a Saturday morning as a family. The morning started out early... had to be there by 7 and this is how all the kids looked till we got there...



This is a shot of Savannah and Ryan before the work started.



Before we were assigned a job, the temple president and his wife came and talked to us and bore their testimonies. It was awesome to see them! We also sang some opening songs and had a prayer. Ryan got to help some of the kids lead the songs.



We were the trash crew. Here is Nathan pulling the cart that eventually held all the trash. I think this was the happiest Ethan was all morning!




Ryan was so happy the entire morning. He loved that we all got a pair of gloves so we didn't get gross stuff on our hands. His didn't stay on too long but he was pretty thrilled initially.



I love this picture of the little boys. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing your children serve together. Ethan was very good to help Ryan steer the cart the right way.



There is no greater way to teach children than by our own example. Nathan was very serious about the work we were doing that morning. He told the kids that we should take extra care because this was the Lord's house. I am thankful for a husband who quietly leads with a strong example of what is right. All the kids wanted to work by him.



Savannah loved this part. She literally "dug" right in!



Ethan muscled through it but was glad when we were done!




Little Trooper! :)



Here is a shot of Garett, much like his dad, who worked quietly and diligently through the morning. With only a minor mishap in front of the baptismal entrance. Everyones kids fight... right?



Lead me, guide me...



Ryan and Garett... Sharin' the love!



All my kiddos minus Tyler. I couldn't stop thinking about him this whole morning and wishing he was there with us. We miss him so much.



A pic of the whole family after closing remarks and prayer. What a great opportunity and I am so thankful we could go. It gave us a greater appreciation for the feelings we have when we are on temple grounds. Those feelings are in part produced by the cleanliness of the grounds. That we were able to contribute was a humbling experience. I would love to go back!

7 comments:

Rubalcavas said...

Those are such cute pics. I love the one of Nathan and Ryan. We miss you guys...I hope everything is going well for you.

Colton said...

Wow, Savannah is so grown up!

I remember helping out at the temple once, and it was great. It is so pretty there, I love it.

Levi and Suzi said...

I love the pic of Nathan and Ryan too. It looks like you guys all had a great experience...ending with a smile!

Betts Family said...

What an awesome experience to share with your kids. . .you are such a good mom!

The Herberts said...

I loved reading of your service and feelings. Your family is such a great example to those around you! Love ya!

The Garlocks.... said...

Great work! I swear you and your family are always doing the coolest things! So, I totally thought we were friend but when I looked at your blog of friends what do I find? NOT ME ON THERE! So are we not friends anymore? Well, I will consider you my friend and I will keep you on as my blog friend also! Oh yeah we are moving back to good ol' Queen Creek this weekend! So, hopefully I will see you around the town! It NOT hard to spot you in your EXCURSION!

Whitney XOXO said...

Just looking through your pictures made me miss you guys! I feel like I haven't seen your kids forever... we should plan a day for me to come crash Sunday dinner or something. Love Ya guys!!!